For decades, Migrante Ottawa has called for changes to end the exploitation and vulnerability of migrant workers in Canada and to address the root causes of migration in the Philippines.
UPHOLD MIGRANT RIGHTS! STOP WIDESPREAD HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS WITH IMPUNITY!
- Oppose policies that increase hardship for migrant families such as the recent tax reform and the mandatory increase in contributions to the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth).
- Expose laws and institutions that have led to widespread human rights violations that affect those who are fighting for the rights of migrants and other Filipinos for decent jobs and better lives, such as the Anti-Terror Law passed in July 2020.
- Stop low-wage and precarious work faced by migrants and other workers. People, including migrants, need decent jobs and decent wages.
- Stop the victimization of migrant workers by recruitment agencies.
STOP LABOUR TRAFFICKING! END PRECARIOUS STATUS FOR ALL!
- Stop forced migration by addressing the root causes of joblessness, precarious work, low wages and poverty. End the labour export policy as a band-aid solution to basic problems of the Filipino people.
- Eliminate the backlog in processing applications for permanent residence by caregivers / temporary foreign workers.
- Give legal status to all and regularize undocumented workers in Canada.